Gluten Free Tips and Recipes

Simple recipes will get you started baking gluten free and before you know it you'll be a pro. It's fast, easy and (did I mention?) delicious!

Monday, March 07, 2005

Gluten Free Bread Pudding

I created this recipe years ago when I was experimenting with new gluten free bread recipes and I really wanted a way to make good use of all the failed experiments. In those days I ate a lot of bread pudding :0)

You will notice it has no bread in anymore! That's for two reasons. First, I created a gluten free bread that I like and I use it as my staple (more about that in another post). Second, I really enjoyed the bread pudding but didn't want to waste good gluten free bread so I came up with the substitution of cornflakes instead. So easy. So tasty. A great comfort food.


Gluten Free Bread Pudding Recipe

Ingredients
4-5 cups gluten free cornflakes
½ cup raisins, or more depending on taste
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
3 cups milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup white sugar
¾ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt

Method
1. Grease a 1.5-quart casserole dish
2. Place half the cornflakes in casserole dish
3. Spread all the raisins over the layer of cornflakes
4. Place rest of cornflakes over raisin layer
5. Mix beaten eggs, milk, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and salt together in a separate bowl
6. Pour over cornflakes
7. Cut butter into small bits and spread over top
8. Let sit, covered, for 1-2 hours. Occasionally press cornflakes down into egg/milk mixture
9. Preheat oven to 325°F
10. Bake 1¼ hours
11. Cool on wire rack
12. Serve warm

Comments

  • I use the 5 cups of cereal but this makes a very thick pudding, so adjust for how you like it.
  • I like this plain, but you could top with whipped topping.
  • For variety, try chopped apricots, dates or other dried fruit such as cranberries instead of the raisins.
  • This is what I call a very forgiving recipe - feel free to play around with the cereal and spice ingredients as well.
  • As with most of my recipes, I freeze in single portions and just microwave when I want some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home